NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

The USO office is open 24/7/365, they can meet you there any time. After your TOPU brief you'll know exactly what time your flight is and what time you'll be at the USO, they can come any time between then. Also, if your family is there, you can go to a ticketing agent and get a gate pass for your family so they can go through security and accompany you right to the gate and you can spend extra time with them before you fly out. I think (not positive) the USO office can also get you a gate pass. I highly recommend you do this if there's time.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Is it alright for your family to give you something (for example my laptop bag with laptop and such) at the airport? Would love having my laptop sooner than later. Smaller things I imagine you could fit into your sea bag, but a bit worried about adding an extra bag to it.
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
prop827

An extra bag is fine as long as it fits within the airlines carry on regulations. You will have your sea bag and garment bag for checked luggage and a backpack for a carry on (these 3 items are all issued to you). A laptop bag should be fine as most airlines allow one small carry on and one carry on for the overhead, but its up to the airline. Just remember, you can't have it until you are at the airport, you can't bring it back to RTC the night before.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
BKinsman

BKinsman is on a distinguished road

Nice, and there shouldn't be any issues when I arrive at my A school either? No regulations I need to worry about? Heading to Corry Station in Florida.
BKinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
prop827

It varries command to command, but other than the standards (weapons, etc), no not for a laptop or cell phone
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Shando11

Shando11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prop827 View Post
The USO office is open 24/7/365, they can meet you there any time. After your TOPU brief you'll know exactly what time your flight is and what time you'll be at the USO, they can come any time between then. Also, if your family is there, you can go to a ticketing agent and get a gate pass for your family so they can go through security and accompany you right to the gate and you can spend extra time with them before you fly out. I think (not positive) the USO office can also get you a gate pass. I highly recommend you do this if there's time.
Thanks for all the info. Don't know why I am worried about all the minor details, but I appreciate the information.
Shando11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
enigma92

enigma92 is on a distinguished road

does anyone know how long they'll have after graduation before they go to A school. my husband is a nuke an is graduating in less then a month and before he left he said he would hav anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks off and now i'm hearing he only has a day before he goes to a school. i hoping someone could clear this up for me. please and thank you
enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma92 View Post
does anyone know how long they'll have after graduation before they go to A school. my husband is a nuke an is graduating in less then a month and before he left he said he would hav anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks off and now i'm hearing he only has a day before he goes to a school. i hoping someone could clear this up for me. please and thank you
Did HE tell you he only has one day? Also, even if he has to stay at boot for up to 2 weeks, you would only be able to see him over the weekend of his PIR.
If HE hasnt told you he is grad-n-go, he most likely isnt and you will have the weekend with him.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
enigma92

before he left he said he his recuiters told him that he would hav 3 days to two weeks off. and thn his mom said shed done some research and said that he only had a day and i looked on the navy graduation web site and it kinda said the same thing. but never said he was a grad n go in any of the letters ive go so far.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma92 View Post
before he left he said he his recuiters told him that he would hav 3 days to two weeks off. and thn his mom said shed done some research and said that he only had a day and i looked on the navy graduation web site and it kinda said the same thing. but never said he was a grad n go in any of the letters ive go so far.
Sorry to say, but it sounds like your mom just doesnt want you to go...so since HE hasnt said he is grad-n-go, count on at east the weekend with him! So you said in a chat post that your mom is "controlling" and that you are an only child...you need to break that apron string now. You say you are married, be the wife your husband expects and go see him! He has made money while in boot, I am sure if you write him he will pay for it!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
sweetmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
enigma92

no it was his mom who told me the one day thing and im trying to with my mom shes just uber stubborn. but she said if i wasnt able to find someone to go w shed come w me, she told me after work today. so il b going either way
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
bebajejo

bebajejo is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Graduation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmtn View Post
Did HE tell you he only has one day? Also, even if he has to stay at boot for up to 2 weeks, you would only be able to see him over the weekend of his PIR.
If HE hasnt told you he is grad-n-go, he most likely isnt and you will have the weekend with him.
Do they inform you through letters if they were to be a "grad n go"? How would they know that they are that, and when would they know? His graduation is on August 29th, and he will be attending A school in San Antonio, Texas. So do you think we will have the weekend with him?
bebajejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebajejo View Post
Do they inform you through letters if they were to be a "grad n go"? How would they know that they are that, and when would they know? His graduation is on August 29th, and he will be attending A school in San Antonio, Texas. So do you think we will have the weekend with him?
Some of the information in this thread is old. Generally speaking, last I heard, anyone who isn't staying in Great Lakes for A school will get sent to the airport early Saturday morning. Only those who have A schools in Great Lakes will have the whole weekend to spend with their families.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote