NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

The only rate in the Navy currently eligible for SLRP is Musician.

Signing bonuses are currently offered to Nuke, CTI, and various flavors of SPECWAR, but not CTN.

I have never been a recruiter and do not know all the ins and outs there, but it sounds par for the course. Being Prior Service seems to make it harder, especially when you're trying to get in as a different rating than you previously were. I wouldn't count on being able to switch from Reserves to AD easily either. I've heard all sorts of horror stories.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcTECH View Post
Hi all,

I am a current E-5 in the USMC Reserves (MOS/Rate: Radio Repairer) with my required drilling time coming to an end in a few months. I've been absorbing as much as I can about the cyber field (militarytimes articles, reddit, etc) and I believe that Navy CTN is the best fit for me. I meet the basic requirements, can obtain a Conditional Release, should have no issue getting a TS, and understand the school is hard but it can be done if you study very hard.

My question here is "Would I be able to transfer directly from the USMC reserves into Navy Active Duty with a rate of CTN?" I called a Navy Recruiting Station and they directed me to a prior service recruiter. However, they told me the only way I could switch to the Navy was to enlist in the reserves as a CTN once a spot opens and can be eligible to request active duty two years later.

Being in the military for 5 years I am skeptical to take a recruiter’s word for this. Is enlisting into the reserves first really the only route?

Anddddd if that isn't reaching for the clouds enough, would I qualify for a bonus or Student Loan Repayment?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
If you have a degree, you should qualify for a bonus as a CTN. I received a big bonus when I enlisted a month ago for CTN as a Reservist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Signing bonuses are currently offered to Nuke, CTI, and various flavors of SPECWAR, but not CTN.
I swore in a month ago today as a CTN Reservist and I got a rather lovely bonus for it as well.

:edit: I do, however, have a Masters in Cybersecurity as well as a B.A so perhaps that was enough to get the bonus? :notsure:
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
usmcTECH

usmcTECH is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your replies. I called around to 4 different regular recruiters which directed me to two different prior service recruiters. To sum it up: yes, RC -> AC is my only option...On top of that, there are no open CTN spots available and the prior service recruiter advised that there probably wont be any new spots open until the new fiscal year. To me that seems like a lot of what-if's and waiting around as I would have to wait till Oct and hope a spot opens up, then attend school, and then try to go active. I talked to a Army National Guard recruiter and there are already open spots for 35Q in a cyber role so I think that's what I am going to shoot for. Thank you all for your input.

-usmcTECH
usmcTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcTECH View Post
Thank you all for your replies. I called around to 4 different regular recruiters which directed me to two different prior service recruiters. To sum it up: yes, RC -> AC is my only option...On top of that, there are no open CTN spots available and the prior service recruiter advised that there probably wont be any new spots open until the new fiscal year. To me that seems like a lot of what-if's and waiting around as I would have to wait till Oct and hope a spot opens up, then attend school, and then try to go active. I talked to a Army National Guard recruiter and there are already open spots for 35Q in a cyber role so I think that's what I am going to shoot for. Thank you all for your input.

-usmcTECH
Do whatcha gotta do man! The Navy isn't the only game in town lol Best of luck to ya!

/r
CTT1

Tags
active, ctn, marines, transfer