NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Master-at-Arms B640

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

I think a lot of MA/MP's are highly disappointed after they start doing their actual job. Guarding gates and checking ID's has to be awful. I had a bunch of MA's at my table during TGPS class and they all sounded miserable. Very slow advancement and shift work.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Squid350
**Active Duty**

Squid350 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
I think a lot of MA/MP's are highly disappointed after they start doing their actual job. Guarding gates and checking ID's has to be awful. I had a bunch of MA's at my table during TGPS class and they all sounded miserable. Very slow advancement and shift work.
That's been my first & third command for sure. Second, though, still shift work... but harbor is where it's at for sure. If you're into LE there are some commands where it's a big thing. San Diego and Japan from what I've heard.

MA advancement is not really slow right now, at least compared to some other rates. I made MA1 before the 8 year mark with decent evals and excellent test scores. Evals matter more now, though (lucky me).

The major perk to MA shift work is a consistent schedule. I completed ~85% of my BS in information systems while on active duty. No way no how would that have happened if I was on sea duty for those five years.

Agreed that the job satisfaction isn't there though. Now that I've priced myself out of driving patrol boats I'm looking in a different direction. Don't plan on being an MA for the next 12+ years.
Squid350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
chrisxxii

chrisxxii is on a distinguished road

LE is just a small part of what MAs do. If your joining and want to be a cop your probably going to be disappointed with MA. It seems like 50% of the people leaving a school will get a PRP billet. Which isn't the worst thing in life. Just get ready to work with Marines
chrisxxii is offline   Reply With Quote