NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Ratings (Jobs) ~ Seaman > Musician B660

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Soccer_cat

Soccer_cat is on a distinguished road

llamayamaa--what instrument do you play? So cool! I hope to join the navy music program as well. How long did you prepare for you audition?
Soccer_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
llamayamaa

llamayamaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
llamayamaa--what instrument do you play? So cool! I hope to join the navy music program as well. How long did you prepare for you audition?
I play flute/piccolo. I took the audition in early March, but as a professional musician, the audition music was something I've been playing for years (I've taken many, many auditions- not for the Navy, but other ensembles). Are you in DEP now with an assignment already?
llamayamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Soccer_cat

No, hoping to make it in the Navy music program. How long is the waiting list?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
llamayamaa

The waiting list depends on which instrument you play. In January, they told me they were pretty overmanned with brass players and were in need of wind players, but I still had a three month wait for my instrument. What do you play? Check out the link I shared a few posts back, it has a lot of answers.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Soccer_cat

Thanks for the info! I play clarinet & saxophone. Hopefully I'll make it. Setting up an audition this week. I wonder how long the wait is for either of those? With the downsizing of the military it may take a while!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
llamayamaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccer_cat View Post
Thanks for the info! I play clarinet & saxophone. Hopefully I'll make it. Setting up an audition this week. I wonder how long the wait is for either of those? With the downsizing of the military it may take a while!
I have no idea about the demand for clarinet/saxophone, but I would be willing to bet your wait will be shorter than mine since there are twice as many of those instruments per band than flutes (there are only 1-2 flute positions per band).

About the downsizing: the Navy actually has a pretty good size music program with 9 CONUS bands, 2 international, and 2 preferentially staffed bands (it was the Air Force that just underwent major budget cuts to their music program). With the Navy's recent change in doubling requirements --you don't have to be able to play multiple instruments-- I think some high quality musicians are going to be making their way to audition (that is not to say musicianship isn't already high...).

I'm curious- do you have a Bachelor degree in music already? Because you will be vying with other musicians who have a Bachelors, some even Masters.

Good luck with the audition! Let me know if you have any questions about the audition day/process.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Soccer_cat

Thanks for the great info! I have two years of college as a music major. We'll see! Gotta practice a lot!
It sounds like a dream job!