NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > IT = INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNICIAN (IT, ITS)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
That's the 1st I've heard of that. I'm hoping Prop827 will pop in and let us know what his LES statement says. He's a Nuke and would have had sn advance paygrade.
First I've heard of it too, but then again, the only people coming over here with family members are E-4 and above, so none are fresh out of boot. I'd love to hear the answer to this!

As for the original post - I know some IT's that LOVE their job. My aunt is a retired IT - she loved what she did. She's still doing it now. Our good friends however are IT, and he hates it. I think he hates his specialization more than anything else, but nonetheless, he's not happy where he is.

Honestly though, you won't know whether or not you'll like it until you're in the thick of it. I think it just depends on your attitude, where you are, and your command. The person I'm talking about is pretty much by himself most of the time, and hardly gets noticed. (The IT division on our ship is HUGE). Some days, my husband HATES his job, and others, he absolutely loves it. So really, it's just going to depend on what day you're on as to whether or not you like it. Like Craig said, in the scheme of things, 6 years really isn't much longer than 4, so why not go for the bonus??

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
kaicyr

kaicyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asailorswife View Post
First I've heard of it too, but then again, the only people coming over here with family members are E-4 and above, so none are fresh out of boot. I'd love to hear the answer to this!

As for the original post - I know some IT's that LOVE their job. My aunt is a retired IT - she loved what she did. She's still doing it now. Our good friends however are IT, and he hates it. I think he hates his specialization more than anything else, but nonetheless, he's not happy where he is.

Honestly though, you won't know whether or not you'll like it until you're in the thick of it. I think it just depends on your attitude, where you are, and your command. The person I'm talking about is pretty much by himself most of the time, and hardly gets noticed. (The IT division on our ship is HUGE). Some days, my husband HATES his job, and others, he absolutely loves it. So really, it's just going to depend on what day you're on as to whether or not you like it. Like Craig said, in the scheme of things, 6 years really isn't much longer than 4, so why not go for the bonus??
Yea, I imagine there are some pretty lame IT jobs out there, but I know there are good ones too. Will my performance in A/C school have any bearing on my job options when I graduate? Or Do I have zero control?
kaicyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Craig
Administrator

Craig has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaicyr View Post
Yea, I imagine there are some pretty lame IT jobs out there, but I know there are good ones too. Will my performance in A/C school have any bearing on my job options when I graduate? Or Do I have zero control?
What usually happens is the orders are based on class standing. They place a certain about of orders on the table. The sailor that has the highest score in the class gets their pick. The second sailor get to chose from the remaining...and so on.... So it is wise to get the highest score in class.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
kaicyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
What usually happens is the orders are based on class standing. They place a certain about of orders on the table. The sailor that has the highest score in the class gets their pick. The second sailor get to chose from the remaining...and so on.... So it is wise to get the highest score in class.
Quite the incentive. Thank you.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
prop827

prop827 is on a distinguished road

I'm here I'm here!!! Late but I made it to the party!

The amount you get paid in boot if you come in as an E3 is VARIABLE. You may only get E1 pay in boot camp, then on your next pay cycle out of boot camp you'll get your E3 pay PLUS the difference you should have gotten between E3 and E1 (backpay). On the other hand, you might actually get E3 pay in bootcamp the entire time. It all has to do with how and when your paperwork is processed and is really out of your hands and/or control. When I was in boot, my bunkmate and I were both Nuke E3's; I got E3 pay all through boot camp, but my bunkmate only got E1 pay then got back pay when we got to NNPTC.

So you'll get your E3 in boot camp eventually, you just don't know when you'll start getting it. If you have dependents, be ready for them not to have money while you're in boot. You might only get E1 pay and it takes a few pay cycles for any BAH or BAS or Separation Pay to kick in for your dependents. Its not unheard of for you to graduate boot camp and THEN get the money you were supposed to get for your dependents after the fact. Remember: lots of recruits means lots of paper work and stuff may take a while to catch up to you.

No matter what though, you are all recruits and you all wear recruit insignias on your uniforms (ie, nothing) until just before PIR when you get your stripes sewn on your dress uniforms and your collar devices tossed to you by your RDC's. That's a proud moment when you finally get those, even though you're still "recruit" for a week.
prop827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
kaicyr

So hold up...will my job options as an IT ATF be any different than that of a regular 4-yr IT? There must be a reason they want people to sign for 6 years, and send them to extra schooling.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaicyr View Post
So hold up...will my job options as an IT ATF be any different than that of a regular 4-yr IT? There must be a reason they want people to sign for 6 years, and send them to extra schooling.
4 year IT's also get C schools. They are suckering you into a 6 year deal. Personally I would do 4 and see if you want to stay in then reenlist. Depending on what orders you get, ship, shore, squadron, etc depends on what "C" schools you get.

Honestly if I could do it all over again. I would not have signed a 6 year contract.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote