NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Cryptologic/Intelligence (Spooks) > CTN = CRYPTOLOGIC TECHNICIAN NETWORKS

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Race

Race is on a distinguished road
Default What are CTN's eligible for?

I'm a future CTN shipping next January, I've been doing a lot of research and still cant find a answer. My question is are CT's eligible for submarine duty, if so what would you be doing, also are CT's eligible for being assigned to a aircrew? Any info would be great, thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

I am going in "I" brancher so I know more about that but from what I've seen CTs in general can get DIRSUP orders which is technically shore duty but you can go out and assists on/with ships, subs, and squadrons. As a CTI I had to sign a paper saying that I'd volunteer for Aircrew and sub duty but since I am a female only the aircrew applies to me. I am not 100% sure so take it with a grain of salt but I've seen the same info for CTRs and CTTs so I'd assume its the same for CTN as well. https://www.youtube.com/user/NavyGypsy Im pretty sure she said she was a CTN in one of her earlier videos so maybe she can give you details!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Race

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
bronxCTM

bronxCTM is on a distinguished road

Yeah there are CTs on submarines but as ejrwelch said, they are just "riders." (My brother doesn't look cooking for the riders on his submarine :P ) I don't know if there are any specifically any CTNs on submarines or even aircrew but definitely the other CT ratings for sure.

By the way, when did you dep in as a CTN? I was wanting that job when I went to MEPS back in April.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

I had a CTI, a CTT, and a CTR going through Aircrew Candidate School when I was there... not sure about CTN.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Be forewarned though - I don't know about CTN, but getting aircrew as CTI is pretty hard right now and is likely to become harder in the future.

As far as I know it is either exceedingly difficult or impossible to get aircrew orders straight out of DLI, most people go to the watch floor and a few (generally the best) get direct support. So you go do watch floor for a few years and then if your evals are really good and you pursue aircrew you might get the orders. And then you have to pass Aircrew School and SERE School. But Navy's phasing out the EP-3s that CTIs usually fly on in favor of drones within the next 6 years or so who knows what'll happen then.

And all that's assuming you get a language that does aircrew to begin with, not all of them do.

Subs is easier to get as far as I understand, since not everyone wants it.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
AyeeYoAP

AyeeYoAP is on a distinguished road

Hi! I'm a CTN. Our first duty stations are shore duty And there are only 7 places we can go. San Diego is not one of them lol E5s and above can go to SD only. We don't go on subs and we RARELY go on ships. As far as I know, aircrew is not an option.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Race

Thanks for the info everyone, ive been reading some of the NEC codes and the ones for aircrew are open to all but require a transfer to an airmen rate unless your CTT,CTR,CTI,HM, and a few others. So looks like I wont be getting my NAC wings However I hope it would be possible to get qualified for subs, and I depped in July 10th shipping in January.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
But Navy's phasing out the EP-3s that CTIs usually fly on in favor of drones within the next 6 years or so who knows what'll happen then.
It's all conjecture at this point, but the P-8A has way too much empty space inside of it, so they're very likely going to put ELINT/SIGINT and BAMS stations into it.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Old 09-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Dapper

Dapper is on a distinguished road

Are there other options for a CTN, like training to run missions with SEALs or something like that?
Just curious...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
-Spooky-

-Spooky- is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Special Duties?

Does anyone know anything about becoming an "Operator" or about getting onto a SEAL team as a CTN? This is something im seriously interested in pursuing and any extra info would help a lot. Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #12
ryry2595

ryry2595 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeeYoAP View Post
Hi! I'm a CTN. Our first duty stations are shore duty And there are only 7 places we can go. San Diego is not one of them lol E5s and above can go to SD only. We don't go on subs and we RARELY go on ships. As far as I know, aircrew is not an option.
What are the shore stations?
Old 11-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry2595 View Post
What are the shore stations?
NIOC Texas - San Antonio
NIOC Pensacola - Pensacola
NCDOC - Virginia Beach
NIOC Norfolk - Norfolk
NIOC Hawaii
Ft. Meade, MD
NIOC Georgia - Augusta

Those are the places you can get stationed after JCAC. We don't go to ships.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
ryry2595

ryry2595 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Whoa, did they say when you could go OUTCONUS?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryry2595 View Post
Whoa, did they say when you could go OUTCONUS?
I don't even know what that is lol
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I don't even know what that is lol
Anything outside of the 48 continental states.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+oconus
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
AyeeYoAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temen View Post
Anything outside of the 48 continental states.

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+oconus
The NIOC in Hawaii is one of the places you can get stationed straight outta JCAC
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #18
Rickblaine22

Rickblaine22 is on a distinguished road

CTNs don't go to aircrews, and they very rarely go on ships, however, you can expect more of us to be on ships in the future (but not subs...sorry). You have a 100% chance of going to one of the 7 places mentioned above. You'll be at that place for 3 years. Different commands do different things. VA Beach (or Suffolk now) does Computer Network Defense while NIOC Norfolk has a completely different mission. When you are a little more than halfway done with school in Corry, your advisor will bring you a dream sheet where you can request where you want to go. Be advised: this dream sheet means absolutely nothing. It was my experience (I'm a CTN2) that NO ONE in any class above or below me got orders to where they requested. You can plan on one of those 7 places and you can be absolutely 100% certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will in fact go to one of those places. Anyone else who tries to tell you they heard so and so got some weird exotic orders is full of crap.

The one exception to this is ION school (which is still in MD, and I would not call it exotic). You can go there straight out of school, but if you already had orders, it will be next to impossible. To even be able to take the test, you have to have an above 90 average and no test failures. That eliminates about 85% of the JCAC population.

You can also go do stuff with SEALS, but you have to be stationed with a special warfare command to begin with (so they can recruit you), and out of the 7 places you WILL go out of JCAC, none of them are special warfare commands.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #19
Rickblaine22

Rickblaine22 is on a distinguished road

I wanted to give an update on this. We were asked for volunteers to go CTN deployer. It looks like they are really increasing this kind of duty assignment (although it is still only open to E5-E6).
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
ALJW2015

ALJW2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
NIOC Texas - San Antonio
NIOC Pensacola - Pensacola
NCDOC - Virginia Beach
NIOC Norfolk - Norfolk
NIOC Hawaii
Ft. Meade, MD
NIOC Georgia - Augusta

Those are the places you can get stationed after JCAC. We don't go to ships.
Do you know if it is easy to get to Ft. Meade? I know that the Navy will station me where they need me but any info would help.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #21
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Please do not bump old threads. You also do not need to ask the same question multiple times.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
Closed Thread