NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 04-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
austin_andres

austin_andres is on a distinguished road

Thank you! For my rating inside of Aircrew, I would like to be a AWO or AWF (flight engineer side). So my other question would be what would I have to do to accomplish this and when does this selection take place?
austin_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_andres View Post
Thank you! For my rating inside of Aircrew, I would like to be a AWO or AWF (flight engineer side). So my other question would be what would I have to do to accomplish this and when does this selection take place?
Selection happens as you're about to graduate.

Nothing you do really will have much impact, as the LPO of the school is just given a number quota for each job to fill and 9 times out of 10 he just fills it up and lets you know where he put you.

Occasionally he'll let the top few people in the class get a pick, but I've personally seen it go both ways. So don't let people tell you that you're 100% going to get a pick because there is a very legitimate chance they just hand you a rate as well. (again, seen both happen while I was there)

AWF's on the FE side of the house are also losing a lot of positions as the Navy decommissions the P-3 and moves to the P-8. They're moving those guys into C-2 or E-6 platforms, but the opportunity is going to be a lot less than it used to be seeing as they have to do something with all the guys they already have now.

AWO is pretty common though (90% of my class ended up there) and they will still be in use with the new P-8 platform.

/r
CTT1
Old 04-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
austin_andres

austin_andres is on a distinguished road

For the rate of AWO, how difficult is the A-School? Like do you study things like math or is it more about your aircraft and how it operates? Also how long is the typical pipeline, taking into affect being on holds?
austin_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

We're being flooded with AWFs now. We need more AWF2's and higher though. As an AWF FE on the E-6b platform, you're technically an FE trainee until you make E-5. Prepare to do lots of FE bitch work until you make it there AWF1 and higher is where it's at

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Diverdee90

Diverdee90 is on a distinguished road

My son is graduating this week - he is an AWF and headed to Oklahoma next week... Excited for his next step in this crazy journey
Diverdee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
BonzerAsp
**Active Duty**

BonzerAsp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdee90 View Post
My son is graduating this week - he is an AWF and headed to Oklahoma next week... Excited for his next step in this crazy journey
Congrats to him! Oklahoma isn't that bad honestly. I've been stationed here for over a year now and I'm enjoying it so far.

"It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious."
President George Washington

BonzerAsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
ByrgeB

ByrgeB is on a distinguished road

Whoa whoa, I went to meps the 8th of march, swore in the 9th, got accepted into the Aircrewman program and was offered FTS (They informed it was one of the best programs too get into..fts that is...stupid fast advancement/etc)

I dont ship till sept 28th, howd u get in after me and get shipped out in may @Austin_andres

and one more question, Haasino, what do you mean FTS doesnt get too pick AWO.. I was informed ill get too choose from AWO. AWF. AWV even while FTS...

Is this not true? Theyve lied too me multiple times, saying family will go to move with me too schooling in pensacola ( im 26, married, and 2 kids) come too find out they wont.. and multuple more reasons.

HELP.

Last edited by ByrgeB; 04-21-2016 at 01:45 PM.
ByrgeB is offline   Reply With Quote