NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > Ratings (Jobs) > Airmen (Airdales) > AW = NAVAL AIRCREWMAN (AWO, AWF, AWV, AWS, AWR)

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
tasteytots

tasteytots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTT1(SW)Griffin View Post
Oh it's much more than "camping" haha

I promise you will contemplate your entire life in there, who you are, why you're doing this, and how much it's really worth to you.

/r
CTT1

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like quite the adventure and experience to truly test every aspect of your self.
Even after NACCS, and A school do a lot of people have a hard time adjusting physically or mentally or even possible both when it comes to SERE school then?

Quote:
If you make it through however, you'll leave with what I can only describe as a PROFOUND new sense of what freedom means and the real sacrifice it takes to defend it.
This hits the spot. It truly makes me think of whats to come and how lucky we are to have the chances to make something of ourselves not just in the Navy or for the matter at hand any other branch of military(Navy is the best!!!).. but within ourselves to provide something greater for the next generation, sometimes it truly blows my mind and I am glad to be a part of this. All this said might be cheesy to others, but I am ready to make a difference!
tasteytots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasteytots View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like quite the adventure and experience to truly test every aspect of your self.
Even after NACCS, and A school do a lot of people have a hard time adjusting physically or mentally or even possible both when it comes to SERE school then?
Physically you'll be able to push through it, but that doesn't mean it sucks any less. The suck factor can get up there depending on what time of year you go. I even went through in a decent part of the year to be there and the suck was still significant haha It is what it is though. The more you "get into it" though the more you will get out of it.

Mentally, they will get inside your head and live there. It's not a matter of "if", it's how soon and how bad. Some people didn't do so hot and others did a little better. No matter what though, both you and the people around you will see sides of each other you never thought you would. It's eye opening to say the least.

/r
CTT1
Old 08-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

@tasteytots

Theres a thread with info about Norfolk. http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7252

I'm stationed there so can answer more specific questions too.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
tasteytots

Quote:
Mentally, they will get inside your head and live there. It's not a matter of "if", it's how soon and how bad. Some people didn't do so hot and others did a little better. No matter what though, both you and the people around you will see sides of each other you never thought you would. It's eye opening to say the least.

/r
CTT1
Wow.. intense... Don't really know how else to comment on that!

What are some important things you would recommend to someone about to head into all this training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
@tasteytots

Theres a thread with info about Norfolk. http://www.navydep.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7252

I'm stationed there so can answer more specific questions too.
Thanks for the reply Guppy, I'll have to look over that forum!
All though what would be like to have my motorcycle up in Norfolk? Weather wise?
Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #5
LT Guppy

LT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to beholdLT Guppy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Guppy, I'll have to look over that forum!
All though what would be like to have my motorcycle up in Norfolk? Weather wise?
Weather wise, not bad. You could ride comfortable most of the year.
However, traffic here can be a bit rough. I know two people in the last year who have had career ending motorcycle accidents here. Personally I wouldn't ride here, but a lot of people do.

ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS - Click here to have your account verified
LT Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow.. intense... Don't really know how else to comment on that!

What are some important things you would recommend to someone about to head into all this training?
Don't over think things and just do exactly what they tell you.

Your job for the next few months isn't to think, it's to be a sled dog basically. There's a reason you're going to be taught certain things in the way they teach it, and usually those reasons are written in blood. So just keep a positive mental attitude and do it their way; you'll be fine

/r
CTT1
Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #7
tasteytots

Quote:
Don't over think things and just do exactly what they tell you.

Your job for the next few months isn't to think, it's to be a sled dog basically. There's a reason you're going to be taught certain things in the way they teach it, and usually those reasons are written in blood. So just keep a positive mental attitude and do it their way; you'll be fine

/r
CTT1
Thank you for the advice, I like the "sled dog" terminology lol :P. I will definitely be keeping all of the advice in mind!!

So I know as AW we get the automatic promote to E-4, but I have seen different answers on when we get it. Is it after A school?

I know an LS that go a promotion for finishing numero uno in his A school, is the possible in most training pipelines? Such as getting to E-5 before hitting the fleet? I mean I guess nothing is impossible?
Old 08-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

Quote:
Thank you for the advice, I like the "sled dog" terminology lol :P. I will definitely be keeping all of the advice in mind!!

So I know as AW we get the automatic promote to E-4, but I have seen different answers on when we get it. Is it after A school?

I know an LS that go a promotion for finishing numero uno in his A school, is the possible in most training pipelines? Such as getting to E-5 before hitting the fleet? I mean I guess nothing is impossible?
You would get frocked to PO3 after A-school.

And no you shouldn't be hitting PO2/E5 before you're in the fleet, and that's not a bad thing. A Second Class Petty Officer is expected to be a technical expert in their job, starting to take on some more heavy responsibilities in the shop, and start looking to their 1st class to take some of those duties as well.

If you were to come to the shop as a PO2, with no experience, you would fail immediately and very publically. Not to say you aren't a hard worker or anything, but nothing can replicate the experience of a seasoned Petty Officer. Not having the proper training and background and then expecting you to perform at that level just sets you up for failure.

Rank is much more than just a pay grade in the Navy. I know some other branches don't quite look at it like that, but if you're wearing that rank on your collar then you better be performing to those standards. Getting up to those standards requires the experience you get from working your way up. You would also be required to lead the junior guys in the shop; how could you do that if that E3 has several years in that job and you're just showing up? You really gonna tell that guy how he needs to be doing his job? haha

Just some food for thought ^_^

/r
CTT1
Old 09-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
roseDragon

roseDragon is on a distinguished road
Default Helo crew question

Do you have to enlist as an AIRR to be a helo crew member? I see this being said some places but when I look at the description for the Aircrew program (AW) it has AWS and AWR listed as rates you can be assigned after candidate school. Are there any "dry" helo rates anymore? I am working on getting an action request to switch rates to AW but I want to find some information first to make the best decision.
roseDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Kobynewport

Kobynewport is on a distinguished road
Default Question about training pipeline

I'm depping in My rate is AW and I leave in a few weeks. I was wondering when they gave me my specifics rate such as AWF?
Kobynewport is offline   Reply With Quote