NavyDEP

Go Back   NavyDEP > DEP & Bootcamp > Bootcamp

Family Members join our new Facebook group sponsored by NavyDEP: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rtcgreatlakes

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
LENNY0861

LENNY0861 is on a distinguished road
Default new boot camp phone policy

each recruit will get at least 1 call per week home as of Jan 2013, my son was there 2 weeks and has 2 calls already plus the I am here call so bring those calling cards
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
cakers00

cakers00 is on a distinguished road

did your son say that it is new or is he calling for a specific purpose like information for a security clearance? I'm leaving in April and I honestly do not want the opportunity to call that often, would take my mind off my training and the reason I am there.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
LENNY0861

LENNY0861 is on a distinguished road

its a new rule, but if u do not want to call u don't have to, but I bet u will call
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
cakers00

bet I wont except for the first and last call
Old 02-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
HMHunt

HMHunt is on a distinguished road

This is true. I just graduated this past Friday and my graduating class was the last one under the old policy. Every div starting from 101 will get a call weekly.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
AD Agbayani

AD Agbayani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHunt View Post
This is true. I just graduated this past Friday and my graduating class was the last one under the old policy. Every div starting from 101 will get a call weekly.
Does that mean we get to keep our cell phones with us instead of shipping it home?

Sounds good at first but when I really think about it, isn't that the point of bootcamp? Going through tough times, secluded and trained to be salior? Knowing I had that one phone call at the end would of pushed me harder. Plus knowing info through letters wouldn't be as sweet.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Mako17

Mako17 is on a distinguished road

What specific brand of call card did your son bring? Leaving for bootcamp next week.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

OK...from a mothers perspective here...I sent both my sons to boot camp, one navy the other army. I never expected calls from my boys, and was surprised they even got to call twice. It was my goal in life to make my sons MEN that could stand on their own and not feel their life would be hard if they werent able to call me or anyone for that matter. As soon as they were 18 and out of high school I made them leave! My oldest went to college my youngest navy. They are good men and have great work ethics, and really hate it when others whine about things when times are tough. My boys had to earn everything they had growing up as I raised them ALONE! They wanted a car, fine..my oldest found one in the junk yard and fixed it, my youngest bought my OLD Subaru wagon from me for $500..where did they get the money, from rasing sheep and selling some to other kids and showing and selling one at our fair. They had to buy their own gas and insurance and their own school clothes..they never had cell phones in high school and only once they were gone from home and had a job..and yes my oldest went to college full time and worked full time to put himself through college prior to enlisting in the army..

ok..off my soap box now...but many kids now a days have things WAY too easy..cell phones, cars that parents pay for and gas and insurance, clothes...I often wonder how they earned it. Most kids I personally see that are given things by their parents are the ones that complain a lot and have the hardest time being away from family....NOW off my soap box

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
OnyxCav25

OnyxCav25 is on a distinguished road

i agree that kids that have everything complain... but not to be disrespectful, but I believe it's a parents responsibility to clothe their children. My dad didn't buy me clothes growing up because his new wife wanted everything for her kids. Sorry but Kids shouldn't have to pay for their clothes when they are trying to get through high school, especially if they have AP classes that are harder to graduate with Honors. Now if they want expensive over the top clothes, then yea.. they should buy their own.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
cakers00

guess Navy is going the way of the chairforce now
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
rac

rac is on a distinguished road

If you don't want them, don't use them. Seriously, it's not a big deal unless you make it one.

I fix airplanes sometimes. I know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
sweetmtn

sweetmtn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCav25 View Post
i agree that kids that have everything complain... but not to be disrespectful, but I believe it's a parents responsibility to clothe their children. My dad didn't buy me clothes growing up because his new wife wanted everything for her kids. Sorry but Kids shouldn't have to pay for their clothes when they are trying to get through high school, especially if they have AP classes that are harder to graduate with Honors. Now if they want expensive over the top clothes, then yea.. they should buy their own.
Just so you understand...I have a very small farm and on a fixed income with only the small amount I get from the sheep I raise. Both my boys I never got child support for them..yes I bought them the basic clothes they needed, but they always wanted those "newest sport shoes" and "the lastest expensive jeans"...the sheep were their animals when they were growing up, not mine(both boys in 4-H and FFA). They had to get up and feed them each morning before breakfast and then get ready for school, and again when they got home in the evening...365 days a year, and yes, both were in AP classes and graduated with Honors.

If someone is secure in themselves, they dont NEED anyone to make them feel better, yes it is nice to have someone in your life, but not needed. If your family cant get by without hearing from you each week, what are you going to do when on deployment and cant call for MONTHS on end? I know many military families that cant talk to their spouse while on deployment..and a few that dont get to meet their newborn babies until they get back...so you have to ask yourself, is the call to home for you or for someone else? If not talking for 2 months is going to break a relationship, what will happen when you are gone for 9 months or longer? You must trust in your relationship to take the long seperation...

Sorry if this sounds like a rant....but I have seen way too many families fall apart when they finally confront this and havent really thought this through and talked it out with their spouses/family prior to the long seperations and no contact.

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
FutureND
**Active Duty**

FutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud ofFutureND has much to be proud of

There is a difference in me NEEDING to make a call home because I or my wife can't survive without it and me taking advantage of making a phonecall because the opportunity is given to me. My wife and I will be just fie either way, but I don't see how a husband can be given the chance to make a quick call home and just decide not to take it. There are going to be plenty of times during my time in the Navy that I will not be able to call home, and my family and I understand that and are ok with it, but you better believe that if I can make a call that I will do it (and not feel bad about it one bit).
Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #14
PacificSunrise

PacificSunrise is on a distinguished road

I agree with some points and I also get that you'd want to make a call if you have a wife/husband and kids at home, but if you can't get used to not being able to talk with them for 2 months and you're calling every week then you're only making it harder for yourself when you're on actual deployment and go much longer than 2 months without contact with your family because it can happen and you need to be ready and focused to do your job day by day and can't be so distracted with the going ons at home.

Even more so when you're fresh out of high school because you need to learn to be an adult and let go of your dependencies of home and inherit the mantle of responsibility that comes with being in the service.